Curricular Practical Training(CPT) Policy GuideWhat is Curricular Practical Training (CPT)? Curricular Practical Training (CPT) was established by the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to enhance a student’s classroom instruction with practical experience. The employment experience must be directly related to the student’s field of study. The ICE has established narrow parameters for the use of this category. Curricular Practical Training must be an integral part of an established curriculum. Thus, an F-1 student needs to be authorized by the university to participate in CPT program. CPT is defined to be alternative works/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other types of required internship or practicum at an off-campus worksite that are offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.
WUV CPT Policy
- Students must apply for the CPT at least 2 weeks before semester begins.
- Students must be registered full-time during the academic year to participate in CPT.
- CPT must be approved for one semester at a time, not to exceed the program end date.
- CPT must be approved and authorized on the I-20 prior to the employment start date.
- Students can apply for the CPT only 4 times during the studies of their programs.
- Employment is limited to part-time (20 hours/week for less) during the fall and spring semester.
- Full-time (20hours more per week) employment is allowed for all continuing students in the summer and winter. Accumulating 12 months or more of fulltime CPT will eliminate eligibility for post completion OPT. Part-time CPT does not affect OPT eligibility.
- CPT will not be allowed for students who have first summer or winter term.
- CPT may not for a job outside VA, DC or MD
- CPT may not be for an online job
- Failure to CPT report and evaluation will not eligible for next CPT authorization.
EligibilityTo be eligible for CPT, you must satisfy the following requirements:
- F-1 students who are legally maintaining their status; and
- Who have been enrolled full-time for at least one academic year before starting CPT. Exception; graduate students who have internship requirement within their first academic year.
- New Student: CPT authorization regular academic year only (Fall or Spring semester)
- You must maintain good academic standing (minimum 2.5 GPA for graduates, 2.0 GPA for undergraduates) in each of your course. If good standing is not maintained, CPT authorization will be canceled or not eligible the following term.
- Students on academic probation are not eligible for CPT
- A pattern of absences in any course may result in the cancellation of any existing CPT and loss of future CPT eligibility
WUV 2021-2022 CPT Deadlines
- Summer: 5/10/2021 – 08/20/2021 – CPT Application Deadlines: April 26(Mon), 2021
- Fall Semester: 8/23/2021 – 12/10/2021 – CPT Application Deadlines: Aug 9(Mon), 2021
- Winter : 12/13/2021 – 01/21/2022 – CPT Application Deadlines: Nov 29(Mon), 2021
- Spring Semester: 1/24/2022 – 5/13/2022 – CPT Application Deadlines: Jan 10(Mon), 2022